2011 was an interesting year for me. My running was plagued by injury. My younger child started all day Kindergarten. My work hours picked up. Pretty much nothing went according to plan (and there were some rough moments along the way), but as I finish up the year, things are looking and feeling pretty good.
So, here’s a comparison of my plan for 2011 versus what really happened LOL.
- Run injury free in 2011. Does it count that I’ve been running injury free in December? A visit to the chiro earlier in the year might have been a smart move.
- Get back to normal distances and speed and THEN consider training for a half marathon or longer. (Note the lack of specific mileage and speed goals for the year. Just not going there right now.) Umm, finally starting to accomplish this in December, LOL.
- Run races in at least 3 states – I have Kansas, Missouri, Kentucky and one of the big
Western states penciled in. OK, we can give this one a big old resounding YES! But I didn’t hit any of my planned states. Instead I hit Utah, Wyoming, Michigan, and West Virginia.
- Exercise 6 days a week, move it all 7 days – Most weeks I managed 5 days of focused exercise. Since December 1, I’ve managed to “move it” every day.
- Get the kids moving with me. See above. Moderate success here. Need to work harder on this.
- Cut back on sugar in my diet. My goal is to avoid refined sugar completely at home and to really watch it when we are out. FAIL!!! I’m still a big old sugar addict.
- Eat differently when we go out to dinner. We eat out once a week, usually on Fridays. In years past, I’ve tried to not go out every week, but we really enjoy it, so that never worked. Instead, this year, I’m going to designate some Fridays as “splurge” days, but the rest of the time I’ll be perusing the menu for the healthier choices. Meh. Sometimes I made healthy choices. Some days I didn’t.
- Admit that I’m a work at home mom and make it a part of my life instead of constantly shoehorning work in when I should be sleeping or cleaning or playing with the kids. Shoo started Kindergarten. Finding time for work got easier. Natural consequences LOL.
- Decide on a personal training certification and pursue it. Nope. In fact, decided that this was not the direction for me.
- Continue to grow the mom-oriented running business I’ve started. Tried it. Found it stressful. Decided I’d just rather run for fun with friends.
- Continue to grow my relationship with my local running store, as a volunteer and a coach. This is still a work in progress with hopefully some cool developments in 2012.
- Find something to do for fun that doesn’t involve exercise or the computer. Does shopping count? Or reorganizing my house? Still working on this one.
- Go out with Beer Geek without the kids at least once every two weeks. It was possibly closer to every 3 weeks, but we did manage several kid free overnights, so that’s a bonus.
- Take a trip with Beer Geek. St. Martin, baby! It was awesome.
2011 wasn’t the year I’d hoped it would be. Over the course of 12 months, we replaced our dryer, a refrigerator, and a tv. We had our basement ceilings replaced. The jeep needed new brakes, the civic needed chipmunk nest removal. I had a lump biopsied in my breast. My achilles plagued me until November. Shoo lost another front tooth due to trauma to his face. Jones had a tonsillectomy. I’m sure there’s more…
But in the end, we’ve made it through 2011 strong, healthy, and happy. I really couldn’t ask for more.