So far, having goals, rather than resolutions seems to be working for me…
1) Run at least three half marathons, with the eventual goal of a sub-2 hour half. I have my first half of the year in less than two weeks. It’s the Citizens Bank Caesar Rodney Half Marathon-2009 in Wilmington, DE. I took a look at the elevation and it looks like miles 6.5-8 or so will suck because of a big hill. Fun (not). I also recently signed up for the Pacer’s Running Festival Half in May to replace the Marine Corps Historic Half in May and I’m pretty sure I’m going to do the Philadelphia Distance Run in the fall with a friend. Who knows when/if the sub-2 will happen. Between sick kids and snow, I didn’t hit as many long runs as planned. I’m hoping to do 14 miles tomorrow, but I expect that they’ll be a really slow 14 as it’s pretty icy around here right now.
2) Run races in at least three new states (but I’m aiming for 5).
Still looking good here. Delaware is ON. Since the ME sign up is immediately after the half in Delaware, I’m planning to take our new Mac notebook with me and sign up from the hotel (let’s hope the purchase of said Mac goes smoothly next week). Still looks like I’ll be doing a 5K in Florida with my dad. I think I’ll be in Wisconsin when the Lighthouse run is this year, so dad and I are planning to do that together. As I mentioned above, I also am likely to hit Pennsylvania this fall when I run with my friend. So 5 is definitely possible still. I’m chomping at the bit to get started, so it’s a good thing DE is less than two weeks away.
3) Workout five times a week. This seems to be going well. I take a class one day a week and run 4. I only had one week this month that was less then five. I did manage closer to 23 miles every week though.
4) Stop stressing about my weight and start lifting weights. This month wasn’t quite as good with the weight workouts, but it wasn’t bad until the end of the month. I really fell apart when Shoo got sick and I had a few days of little sleep. Somehow I still managed to run, but I just didn’t have the energy to strength train. I got my act back together tonight and did upper body and abs, so I’m on track for March.
5) Run at least 8-10 races this year.
So far I’ve run a 12K. I know I have two halfs and a 5K yet this spring. Hopefully I’ll do a 10 miler in June, a 10K in August, a half in September, and a 5K in November. Looks like I need to find something for April and October.
Having these goals has REALLY helped me this winter. It would have been so much easier just to sit on my butt and drink beer in February, but having a goal of 5 workouts a week has gotten me out the door or onto the treadmill many times. With the lone exception of Sunday, getting started running has always resulted in at least a three mile run and often more than that.
I have a new goal, starting now. I need to start fueling my body better. I’ve been eating too much lately and a lot of it is “crap” and/or mindless eating. I need to eat more fruits and start eating some sort of veggie at lunch. I need to plan my snacks instead of grabbing Girl Scout cookies and sweet cereal. Hopefully making this an actual goal will get me to pay more attention to healthy eating.
Speaking of eating, my stomach FINALLY feels better. I’m beginning to think I had a mild version of what Shoo had. It lasted far longer than an upset stomach from too much grease or too much beer should last!