Today my buddies over at the DC Trifecta (Mar, Cynthia, and Courtney) are talking about places they’d love to run. Since I’m kind of race obsessed, let’s talk about places I’d love to race. Obviously, since I’m planning to run a race (and hopefully a half marathon) in all 50 states, I could easily list any state I haven’t raced in yet, but there are definitely places that rank higher on the list than others. One of the places that might have been on the list is Ireland. I’m so very excited to not only get to vacation there this summer, but to also get to run a half marathon there. My first international race! (Just for the record, I had a really hard time only listing 5. I’d pretty much be up for traveling anywhere in the US and many places world wide to race. If I can get a good beer as part of the adventure, I’ll be the happiest girl around.)
1. San Diego – M y brother lives there and I don’t get to see him very often (you know, that whole opposite coasts thing). I haven’t been there since I was pregnant with Shoo 9 years ago, but I LOVED the area. Given a choice, I’d run the Navy’s Bay Bridge Run that goes from downtown San Diego over the Coronado Bridge. Even better, there are some really excellent brewpubs that we could visit while there. Definitely a win/win all around!
2. Finger Lakes, New York – If I were ever going to have a vacation house, it would be in that area. We’ve vacationed there twice and are already talking about going there again next summer for vacation. Lots of wine, lots of brewpubs, and just an absolutely beautiful area. Top of my list for races there is the Boilermaker 15K. It’s sponsored by Saranac Brewing, which is not only makes good beer, it was the “gateway” to my love of craft beers. In fact, the first cat we got after we got married was named Saranac Black and Tan LOL.
3. Alaska – I’ve been there twice and once I even raced there and I really want to go back. I love love love Alaska. I ran a 10 miler there a couple of years ago, but I’d really like to get in a half marathon sometime too. I would do any of the races there, but there is one in Skagway that sounds both scary and enchanting. Since I seem to have a thing for hard and hilly, it seems right up my alley!
4. Iceland – Again, I’ve been there, but I’ve never raced there. Iceland is an absolutely gorgeous place. Beer Geek and I spent an amazing 3 days there before we had kids and I’d go back in a heartbeat. And what race would I run? The Midnight Sun Run, which offers a half marathon that starts in the evening. Afterwards, you can soak in the natural hot springs and steam baths. Yeah, that sounds about perfect!
5. And since this is all “dream talk” and not an actual bucket list (ok, the first three are races I will likely run eventually and the fourth is on the “someday” list), my final choice for places I’d love to run is the Grand Canyon. I’ve been in all 50 states and done a fair amount of international travel, but I’ve never actually been to the Grand Canyon. (I know.) And I have no intention of ever training on trails enough to be able to do Rim to Rim to Rim (or even Rim to Rim), but yeah, running that would be AMAZING.
Where would you like to race or run? Do you have a place that’s extremely unlikely, but you like to dream about occasionally?