This summer has flown by! It’s hard to believe that today is the first day of August. I’m plugging along on the running and the boys have one more month off of school, so for today’s Friday Five with Mar, Courtney, and Cynthia, I’m going to talk about what I love about August (in no particular order).
1. The Great Taste of the Midwest – This is hands down the BEST brewery festival I’ve ever attended. Lots of breweries and they all bring 5-10 different beers to try. Most of the breweries send their owners and brewers and there are a limited number of tickets, so you pretty much never have to stand in line. This is our fifth year going and I’ve had a great time every.single. year. (2010, 2011, 2012, 2013) Please know that if you follow me on twitter or instagram, there will be flood of beer related pictures that day!
2. I’m running the Madison Mini (aka half marathon)! Even better, I’m running it with my dad and my BRF, Kim. They will both leave me in the dust at this race, but Kim will be staying with me at my parents’ house, so I’ll get plenty of time to hang out with her. It kills me that she lives on the wrong coast ;o)! It’s been awesome to see her so much this year.
3. Visiting my parents – I’m really looking forward to spending two weeks at my parents’ house with the boys. I began running home for most of August when I quit working full-time. This year, we didn’t go home in June and we didn’t vacation with my parents, so I haven’t really spent any quality time with my mom and dad since, umm, February? I love hanging with them and the kids love the pool in the backyard (among other things). Win for everyone (except maybe Beer Geek who has to stay home and work.)
4. Eating garden produce until I pop! I have a black thumb (and a super shady yard), so I can’t grow veggies. My mom, on the other hand, has the most AMAZING garden. Usually I eat so many cherry tomatoes on my first day home that I end up with a tummy ache. I pretty much eat nothing but veggies when I’m visiting.
5. My birthday! It’s just a run of the mill 40 something year, but hey, it’s still MY day. We don’t do big celebrations here, but I will make sure I’m not the one cooking dinner that night. If you’d like to run a few miles for me (remember the Mama Goes Masters Virtual Race?), feel free to do anything related to 44 on August 25th. You know I will! Oh, and I already bought myself a present: a new Garmin 220, which I am loving so far!
Do you have fun plans for August? I’d love to hear about them!
17 thoughts on “Five things I love about August”
Looks like you have a great August ahead of you! Fresh produce is one of the best things about summer and it’s especially nice if it comes straight from the garden, so enjoy that experience! My fun plans for August include marathon training and taking a RRCA running coach certification course. Have a great Friday!
ooooh – that beer festival sounds awesome!
Sounds like you have a lot of great things to look forward to this month! Happy early birthday!
I have a Garmin 220. You’ll love it!
We used to have a beer fest in Orlando at Universal’s City Walk every year. I loved all the awesome vendors that provided the different styles of beer. I always tasted some unique flavors. Sounds like a great time! Have fun!
I love my 220! Yay for you and super duper happy birthday!
Another race with your dad! That’s so much fun and such a great opportunity. Enjoy and Happy Birthday!
Happy [early] birthday! I want the Garmin 220 so bad! Waiting for my 410 to give out on me so I have an excuse to get one…unfortunately it’s still working great lol. Enjoy your August 🙂
Happy almost birthday! Have a great time with your parents and good luck to you and your dad at that race!
Our August plans are really up in the air at the moment. We COULD be moving. We COULD be staying. Planning our homeschooling year. Finding fall races to run and train for. Enjoying the last bit of summer. 🙂
I’m sure your parents will enjoy your company too!
Those are definitely reasons to love August! My birthday is this month too (the 22nd) so hopefully I’ll be doing something fun that weekend (my boyfriend tells me it’s a surprise!).
Happy Early Birthday!! I LOVE my Garmin 22o – it’s my third Garmin (because I’m insane), and it’s by far the best one I’ve had. Love love love it. =)
Had not heard the term BRF…makes me giggle. Can I have a BRF, BBF, and BTF? (running, biking, tri-ing)? A girl can try…
We don’t have anything solid for August and I LOVE that! The last two years we’ve gone on a mega-extended-family trip and I’ll miss that but I’m looking forward to some last lazy days by the pool before the twins hit kindergarten. Enjoy your parents’ house! I’m hoping to do that next summer!!
That festival looks like a lot of fun! My husband and I will travel to Wisconsin at the end of this month to run the No Frills Marathon in Minocqua. Happy early birthday!
Ooooh fresh fruit/veggies. Happy early birthday! I’ll be in Canada and catching up on running when I return.
OH – I’m totally in on doing something related to 44 for you on August 25!!!!
i have been reading SO many good things about the garmin 220. i may have to upgrade!! 🙂