This summer has flown by! It’s hard to believe that today is the first day of August. I’m plugging along on the running and the boys have one more month off of school, so for today’s Friday Five with Mar, Courtney, and Cynthia, I’m going to talk about what I love about August (in no particular order).
1. The Great Taste of the Midwest – This is hands down the BEST brewery festival I’ve ever attended. Lots of breweries and they all bring 5-10 different beers to try. Most of the breweries send their owners and brewers and there are a limited number of tickets, so you pretty much never have to stand in line. This is our fifth year going and I’ve had a great time every.single. year. (2010, 2011, 2012, 2013) Please know that if you follow me on twitter or instagram, there will be flood of beer related pictures that day!
2. I’m running the Madison Mini (aka half marathon)! Even better, I’m running it with my dad and my BRF, Kim. They will both leave me in the dust at this race, but Kim will be staying with me at my parents’ house, so I’ll get plenty of time to hang out with her. It kills me that she lives on the wrong coast ;o)! It’s been awesome to see her so much this year.
3. Visiting my parents – I’m really looking forward to spending two weeks at my parents’ house with the boys. I began running home for most of August when I quit working full-time. This year, we didn’t go home in June and we didn’t vacation with my parents, so I haven’t really spent any quality time with my mom and dad since, umm, February? I love hanging with them and the kids love the pool in the backyard (among other things). Win for everyone (except maybe Beer Geek who has to stay home and work.)
4. Eating garden produce until I pop! I have a black thumb (and a super shady yard), so I can’t grow veggies. My mom, on the other hand, has the most AMAZING garden. Usually I eat so many cherry tomatoes on my first day home that I end up with a tummy ache. I pretty much eat nothing but veggies when I’m visiting.
5. My birthday! It’s just a run of the mill 40 something year, but hey, it’s still MY day. We don’t do big celebrations here, but I will make sure I’m not the one cooking dinner that night. If you’d like to run a few miles for me (remember the Mama Goes Masters Virtual Race?), feel free to do anything related to 44 on August 25th. You know I will! Oh, and I already bought myself a present: a new Garmin 220, which I am loving so far!
Do you have fun plans for August? I’d love to hear about them!