Today’s topic for the Friday Five with Cynthia, Mar, and Courtney is your 5 favorite summer drinks. I think it will come as no surprise that beer is on my list. In fact, last year I wrote a post about my five favorite summer beers. I thought about doing the same this year, but there are so many yummy beers out there that it was hard to narrow it down.
1. Water – I don’t love straight water unless it’s super cold and I’m hot. This does mean I drink more water in the summer than the rest of the year, but I still don’t drink enough. So how do I get my allotted water in? Sodastream. I’m totally addicted to that thing.
2. Iced coffee – I love coffee. I can’t start the day without it. But when the temps are pushing triple digits, I can’t deal with the heat. Enter coffee with lots of milk and ice! I make a pot and keep it in the fridge so that it’s already cold, but one of these days I’ll get around to making coffee ice cubes. One would not want to water down one’s caffeine!
3. Nuun – I go through a lot of Nuun in the summer. I drink it on the run and I also drink it watered down at home. I’ll mix a half tab with 20 or more ounces of water. (See number 1 about not liking straight water.)
4. Chocolate milk – I LOVE chocolate milk and I find it oddly refreshing to drink a cold glass after a long run. I know there is some debate about whether or not it’s a great recovery drink, but I love the taste and I often have trouble eating after a hot run, so it’s a great way for me to get some calories and hydration after a run.
5. Beer – Ok, this had to be on the list. I love beer. I tend towards dark and sweet (wee heavy, porter, stout) but in the summer those are hard to find and sometimes a bit too much. I’ve been broadening my horizons this summer and enjoying a few IPAs and wheat beers. I still can’t stand pilsners and light lagers, but at least I’ve found a few summer options to love.
17 thoughts on “Friday Five: Favorite Summer Drinks”
I love my sodastream! Best kitchen item ever. Have a great weekend
Nuun is also a summer addition. I sweat so much with the heat, and I don’t want all the sugar that’s in Gatorade.
I like wine too! But beer in the summer? Nothing better. Last night I had a tangerine wheat from Lost Coast. It was so tasty and refreshing, I had 2, actually…
Water is a must for me you will seriously never find me without a water bottle! And coffee of course ?
I have a soda stream and love it as well 🙂 I’ve been experimenting with making flavored syrups to mix in with the carbonated water.
I forgot. I love chocolate milk after a run – my favorite!
Yum! I especially agree with the iced coffee option! That’s my favorite drink in the summer and really all year long. Fun post.
I’m a water girl all day everyday, but I’m also a fan of workout drinks with electrolytes and BCAAs and couldn’t possibly say no to a cold white wine ;-P
Totally opposite. I like plain water. Don’t drink coffee or beer.
I do enjoy water with Nuun (or something similar) after a long run, though!
I’m a HUGE fan of straight water. It seems I’m in the minority, though, because everyone likes to flavor their water! Lol. But I definitely agree with you on beer. Mmmm…
I do like an occasional beer, but it’s mostly wine or water for me! 🙂 I like a slice of lemon in my water to spruce it up a bit.
Mmmm I love my iced coffee too!! I will usually just brew a pot, pour it in a blender, then throw it in the freezer for a half hour or so. Then I blend it with lots of ice and almond milk and it’s delicious and frothy! Your idea of brewing it ahead of time and keeping it in the fridge sounds way more time efficient though 😉
I’m also with you on the chocolate milk! Deeelicious
Water and coffee. Not always in that order. Love chocolate milk after a race. Oddly, that’s the only time I drink it.
Chocolate milk, definitely an interesting summer beverage but of course awesome for post run! I have some in my fridge too 🙂
my favorite drinks are seltzer and beer, this is what I love in the summer.
I love my soda stream sooo much I have blown through TWO ALREADY .
in an effort to not LOVE LOVE LOVE my diet coke so much :-0
Oh my goodness do I love beer. Can’t drink it right now so I’m just stuck with water 😉