Today’s topic for the Friday Five with Cynthia, Mar, and Courtney is your 5 favorite summer drinks. I think it will come as no surprise that beer is on my list. In fact, last year I wrote a post about my five favorite summer beers. I thought about doing the same this year, but there are so many yummy beers out there that it was hard to narrow it down.
1. Water – I don’t love straight water unless it’s super cold and I’m hot. This does mean I drink more water in the summer than the rest of the year, but I still don’t drink enough. So how do I get my allotted water in? Sodastream. I’m totally addicted to that thing.
2. Iced coffee – I love coffee. I can’t start the day without it. But when the temps are pushing triple digits, I can’t deal with the heat. Enter coffee with lots of milk and ice! I make a pot and keep it in the fridge so that it’s already cold, but one of these days I’ll get around to making coffee ice cubes. One would not want to water down one’s caffeine!
3. Nuun – I go through a lot of Nuun in the summer. I drink it on the run and I also drink it watered down at home. I’ll mix a half tab with 20 or more ounces of water. (See number 1 about not liking straight water.)
4. Chocolate milk – I LOVE chocolate milk and I find it oddly refreshing to drink a cold glass after a long run. I know there is some debate about whether or not it’s a great recovery drink, but I love the taste and I often have trouble eating after a hot run, so it’s a great way for me to get some calories and hydration after a run.
5. Beer – Ok, this had to be on the list. I love beer. I tend towards dark and sweet (wee heavy, porter, stout) but in the summer those are hard to find and sometimes a bit too much. I’ve been broadening my horizons this summer and enjoying a few IPAs and wheat beers. I still can’t stand pilsners and light lagers, but at least I’ve found a few summer options to love.