Rehoboth Beach Half Marathon
December 6, 2013
Yes, that :01 is killing me. Really? I couldn’t find one more second to knock off???
- The course was mostly flat and 6ish miles were on packed dirt.
- The start was 2 blocks from our hotel.
- Dogfish Head Brewpub for dinner.
- Eating pancakes, mac and cheese, pulled pork, wine, and 16 Mile Brewery beer at the finish. What? I was hungry!
- The race was well organized and the water stops were plentiful.
- This was my 20th lifetime half marathon!!!
- The medal. It’s a beast!
- The puddles and the mud. Amazingly I stayed dry.
- The path through the woods felt like it was never going to end.
- No sleep the night before the race.
- The cold and potential rain.
- The wind. I thought I was a bit overdressed, until we turned into the wind. Then I was happy about every single piece of clothing.
- Potential nasty weather made us cut our visit short and we came home Saturday instead of Sunday.
From the first mile, I knew this wasn’t a PR race for me. 10:30 felt comfortable. 10:20 felt impossible. So, I just decided to try to run a steady pace. I only walked at water stops and to avoid falling in puddles. Unfortunately, I didn’t have it in me to balance those walks with faster runs, so my overall pace suffered. Eh, whatever. I was just happy to get this race done. I’d totally run it again though. Decent course, good organization, lots of food and drinks at the finish, and a wicked awesome medal.
One more left to go! My dad and I are running one more race together this coming weekend and then 13 for 2013 = done!