Sometimes life is too serious and we need to laugh at ourselves. I saw this topic on A Lady Goes West yesterday and it made me laugh… and think about what I’m an expert in. After all, we all have skills. Some of them we learned, some of them we come by naturally. Some of them are “party tricks”, some are actually useful. Many of them are entertaining.
[Tweet “Let’s have some fun! What are you an expert at doing? I’m an expert at finding hilly races! #runchat #uselessskills”]
So here’s what I’m an expert in:
- Loading the dishwasher. I can fit more dishes (in a way that they all get cleaned) than you’d believe. Related: I can also fit more stuff in a suitcase than should work according to the laws of physics, I can pack a car trunk like you’d never believe, and I once fit 13 sorority sisters in my Honda Civic hatchback.
- Choosing the most expensive item. Beer Geek swears that I can walk into a store and immediately pick out the most expensive item there. Without seeing prices, guaranteed I’m going to like the thing with the highest price tag. Luckily for him, I’m extremely frugal, so the instances of actually buying said thing are fairly small.
- Finding the hilliest races. Seriously if you hear I am doing a race, do NOT sign up. It will either have a couple of killer hills (I’m looking at you RNR USA and Achill) or be nothing but up and down (Yes, Charlottesville and Annapolis, I’m talking about you.) I honestly don’t know what I’d do if I ever ran a flat and fast race. Probably end up injured because my body isn’t used to flat LOL. (I’m also really good at running in the rain without chafing. Yeah, it’s a gift.)
- Staying up late. I swear, I hit 9 pm and my body switches into late night mode and my creativity and motivation come out. I do most of my writing between 10 and midnight and I’ve been known to *need* to file everything at 1 in the morning. Luckily, I’m also an expert in…
- Surviving on not much sleep. I can go for weeks on 4-5 hours a night. I can go for days on 2-3 hours a night. I’ve always been like that and I think I was gifted with that ability just so I could survive Jones. He didn’t sleep more than 2 hours in a row until he was 4. No, I’m not kidding. Now you know why Ragnar is my favorite race!
- Searching Google. Ok, I admit, I have a leg up on the rest of you. I’m a research librarian. That means I actually took classes on search strategy. But I also have an incredible ability to hone in on the key concept (and even better to figure out what you are really looking for when you explain it poorly.) Yes, I’m a really good reference librarian.
- Getting my hands on good beer. It’s a combination of timing, skill, and ability to talk people into things. Sometimes I think this is one of the things Beer Geek likes most about me.
- Showering super fast. I once timed how long it took me to wash and condition my hair and soap my entire body – less than 5 minutes. I think it took me longer to get the water to be hot than it took me to shower. Yet, I’m still that mom who picks her kids up without showering after a run. I know.
- Snagging the good tickets. It’s a skill honed over years of getting the kids into the highly sought after camps and classes in our county. I’m just like a ticket ninja now.
- Making poor fashion choices. I often joke that I keep expecting What Not to Wear to show up on my doorstep. If it’s possible to clash, I’m going to manage it. And sadly, Shoo seems to have inherited that amazing skill. (OK, the below outfit was a joke, but sometimes…)
So, tell me, what are YOU an expert at?