This week has been one of the more challenging weeks I’ve ever had while training in the winter. I think I got really spoiled the last two winters or maybe I just took to my treadmill more. Or maybe it’s that I’ve surpassed the half marathon distance for my long runs and I haven’t had to do that in four years.
So far this week, these are the things that tried to mess with my training but have not succeeded:
1. My knee – On Monday, I decided to run because it was going to be the nicest day this week. I managed to get out for x miles, even though I’d run Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. I ended up stopping mostly because I was too cold, but I was also feeling twinges in my knee.
2. Presidents’ Day – The kids had Monday off, so I needed to keep them busy. Luckily so did Beer Geek, which allowed me to get in the run mentioned on Monday.
3. Snow – As expected, it snowed on Monday night, leaving 4 inches on the ground. Our county did its usual less than stellar plowing, plus my knee was still a bit sore. Normally I would have tried for a slow few miles, but I was afraid of slipping and hurting my knee more.
4. School closings and delays – The kids were out on Monday for the holiday, on Tuesday for snow, went in late on Wednesday, and are going in late tomorrow. I love my children, but trying to marathon train and work when your kids are constantly underfoot is not the easiest thing to accomplish.
5. Cold – This one looked like it was going to take me out.
Thankfully, my northern friends all told me to get my butt out there, so I did. I wore a pair of fleece lined running tights under my heartbreaker skirt, Procompression socks under my new wool Feetures (love!), a running bra, tank top, heavy half zip, running jacket, and wind breaker. On my head, I wore a buff and a running hat and had two pairs of gloves on. Guess what??? I was still barely warm enough. In fact, I wimped out at mile 13 when the wind picked up and finished up with two miles on my dying treadmill. Today, thanks to 2* as the actual temp, I’m hitting the indoor track for 8 miles – 64 laps. Oy.
But the amazing thing??? I’m on track with my training despite the craziness of my week.
Could someone please send spring now???
And just to stay with the actual theme, here are 5 awesome races to run in the DC area this year:
1. RNR DC half or full marathon (I’ll be doing the half)
2. GW Parkway 10 miler (I’ll be there!)
3. Frederick Running Festival Half Marathon (I love this race but have to miss it this year)
4. Woodrow Wilson Half Marathon (still on the fence as it’s Ragnar DC weekend)
5. Marine Corps Marathon (I absolutely plan to be at this one!)