1. I went to the grocery store at 6am this morning to buy milk and toilet paper. I felt like such a stereotype.
2. But we actually needed milk and toilet paper. And chocolate.
3. Thanks to the earthquake and the hurricane, my stress levels are through the roof. That’s why we were out of chocolate. These natural disasters need to stop soon or my pants won’t fit.
4. I get to spend today trying to fit all the random yard stuff and the trash cans into our garage. Our garage was designed to fit a Model T, so this could be interesting.
5. I have beer in the fridge, but more importantly we have a stock of good Belgian beers that do not need to be refrigerated to drink. In a pinch, we also have red wine.
6. Apparently going to the store in a “hurricane panic” is even worse than going when hungry.
7. We have 5 100+ year old oaks surrounding our house, therefore we’ll be sleeping in the basement on Saturday night.
8. I plan to go fill the gas tank on my Pilot in a few minutes – mostly so I can charge my iphone if we lose power. I also filled the tanks of the jeep and the civic. (Yes, I have 3 cars to primed to keep my iphone charged. Priorities, people!)
9. If we don’t need them for charging, I may not need to buy gas until sometime in October.
Thank you for all the birthday wishes. It was a pretty low key day with take out Thai food for dinner. We’ll celebrate as a family sometime after Jones is completely healed and Irene is gone.
Stay safe, people! I’m hopeful that things won’t get too bad here, but I’m prepared just in case.
14 thoughts on “Random Friday Facts: Hurricane edition”
What the heck is wrong with you people out there on the Eastern Seaboard? You have a perfect opportunity for a hurricane party!
Also here on the East Coast and trying not to be stereotypical either! However, I have made sure i have enough:CokeWineBeer (hubby)SNACKS!!!!Safe ride for all of us Irene riders!
Sounds like you're all set! Be safe!!
I also did some panic buying. We now have enough candles to last us until my kids graduate from high school.
we also will be sleeping in the basement. lots of 40-foot high old trees.
It never hurts to be prepared. Stay safe!
I put gas in my car yesterday because I figured it was one of those things you are supposed to do before a storm. But I totally didn't think of the phone charging capabilities! Thanks for the tip. 🙂
Your day sounds like mine . . . except we only bought water today . . . got the chocolate yesterday! Car is filled with gas, emergency radio and flashlights are out, fridge is fairly stocked, at least one bottle of wine in the house (I am NOT a beer lover!), and we already made plans for the whole family to sleep on the main floor of the house (no basement). Bring on IRENE!!
Oh no! I forgot chocolate!
Ration the chocolate……….
great list, especially #8! (I hadn't thought of that! I was worried about my cell dying and now I have an alternate plan, yay!) and I'm cooking hurricane brownies as I type. Priorities, right? 😉
Beer checkChocolate checkMilk checkToilet Paper checkCars filled with gas checkYou have it covered! Stay safe!
My husband just said he was going to fill up his car. I had already done mine but only because the gas light was on. We are eating all the ice cream because we don't want to lose it if the electricity goes out. Life is good.