Red Envelope asked me to participate in their #RedGift campaign to show gratitude to the “rock” in our journeys. While I have a lot of supporters in my life (I’m so lucky to have an awesome family and wonderful friends), the main rock in my life is obviously Beer Geek.
We’ve been together a long time and been married almost 2o years. He’s supported me through grad school (where I lived 4 hours away for 1.5 years), building my career, our roller-coaster ride to parenthood, and my decision to drop out of the work force.
But, he’s been the most supportive when it comes to my fitness journey. Whenever I say, I think I want to… His answer is “you should.” And then he follows it up with whatever actions are necessary to make it happen.
- He took 3 Fridays off work when I was training for my first marathon, so he could watch Shoo while I ran 20 miles.
- He wrangled two young kids at the Marine Corps Marathon to meet me at mile 3 and at the finish, despite needing to leave for a business trip the minute I finished my race.
- He steps up to the plate any time I need to leave town for a race or a fitness related event.
- He’s ALWAYS up for a roadtrip to a race and acts as chauffeur the entire time.
- He pushes me outside my comfort zone and makes me do things I might not otherwise try.
- He’s always certain I can do whatever I’ve set out to do, even when I’m not.
- He acts as my photographer, my water boy, my driver, and my kid wrangler.
- He totally understands that running is not just a fitness thing for me. It’s necessary for my mental health and he makes sure that running happens when it needs to.
I’ve accomplished a lot of running goals over the last 6 years of running: 2 marathons, 35 half marathons, back to back races, two sets of 5 in 5 days, 13 half marathons in 79 days, etc. And I’m not done. I have lots of goals still out there.
And I never would have accomplished them all without Beer Geek by my side. I’m such a lucky girl!
Disclaimer: Red Envelope asked me to participate. I am not being compensated for this post and all opinions are my own.