We’ve all had that weekend. You know the one – kids have activities + errands need running + the husband needs to get his long bike ride in + you need to get in a mid-length run. Notice I said mid-length – that means at least an hour of running for me. Hmm, where would I fit in an hour of running? Ah ha! During the hour and a half soccer practice, I could run errands and then run on the track. And by run errands, I do mean run.
Here’s how I got in a 6.5 miles running + a half mile walk:
Walk the kids from the parking lot to the school: .25 miles
Run to the beer store (what? I needed to check something): 1 mile
Run back to soccer with a stop to pick up something: 1 mile
Run to the library to pick up a book for Jones: 1 mile
Run back to the field: 1 mile
Realize you have 25 minutes left in practice, so book it around the track as many times as you can: 2.5 miles
Walk the kids back to the car: .25 miles
That, my friends, is how you get your errands done and get a nice run in. I need to remember this when the spring season begins in a few weeks and we’ll have 2-3 soccer practices + orchestra rehearsals each week. Might as well get some exercise in…
Now that my knee is healed, I actually have a run plan for the week (I finally printed out the Hal Higdon plan that I’m using as a template for my marathon training.) It includes 14, 10, 5, and a couple of easy 3s. The weather is supposed to be really nice for the middle of the week, so looks like I’ll be running long on Tuesday and Wednesday. I’ll be passing the half marathon barrier for the first time since my accidental ultra half marathon
And here’s our meal plan for the week (I’ve never been good about this, but it was really nice last week to actually know what I was making more than 45 minutes before we planned to eat it.)
Monday: Leftover Canton Pork Soup
Wednesday: Veggie burgers
Thursday: Stuffed chicken breast
Saturday: Chipotle Pork and Sweet Potato Posole
Sunday: Southwestern Beef Soup (recipe next week)
And finally the recipe I promised you last week…
- 1 lb lean pork, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 tsp. ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground red pepper
- 1 T oil
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 24 oz chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/4 C dry sherry (optional)
- 3-4 carrots, peeled and cut into small chunks
- 1 large green bell pepper, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 3 T soy sauce
- 1 1/2 T cornstarch
- Cooked rice (optional)
- Sprinkle pork with ginger, cinnamon and ground red pepper; toss well.
- Heat Dutch oven over medium-high heat and add oil.
- Add pork to pan an brown on all sides.
- Add onion and garlic; cook 2 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add broth and sherry (if using).
- Bring to a boil over high heat and then reduce heat to medium-low.
- Cover and simmer 30-40 minutes.
- Stir in carrots and green pepper.
- Cover and simmer 10-15 minutes until carrots are cooked.
- Blend soy sauce into cornstarch until smooth. Stir into stew.
- Cook and stir 1 minute or until soup boils and thickens.
- Ladle into soup bowls to serve.
How was your weekend? Did you have to get creative to get your runs in?