At the beginning of the year, I declared
“This year is going to be epic. I just know it. After all, 13 is my lucky number.”
So far, this year has indeed been epic. I’m on track for 13 half marathons in 2013 and that sets me up nicely for 13 halves in 79 days in the spring. Thanks goodness for another 5 in 5 series to give me a boost.
I have one major goal for running this year: Don’t hurt myself. (OK, I hurt myself, but I bounced back.)
Everything else is just details.
- Finish my five half marathons in five days. Preferably upright and smiling. Knocked this out of the park!!!
- Run 13 half marathons in 2013 (mix of Virtual and IRL). 8 done already, remaining 5 signed up for. All IRL!
- Run 13 IRL races (not exactly difficult when 7 will be done by the end of March.) Looks like I’ll have 13 IRL races that are all half marathons. Not sure I’ll run any other distance race this year.
- Run races in at least 6 states (again, not that hard when 5 will be done in one week.) 5 done. Eh, looks like that will be it for new states. I did get a new “half marathon state” when I ran North Carolina in the spring with my RBFFs.
- If all goes well, think about using all that mileage to train for a full in May/June and/or run 2013 miles in 2013. (This one TOTALLY hinges on succeeding with number 1.) Nope, throwing away this goal. Replacing it with becoming a serial half marathon runner. I’ve signed up for 5 more this year.
- Get the kids moving with me. Just bought them inline skates, which they love. Both boys are walking to school most days.
- Cut down on the sugar and the cheese. Aiming for added sugar only 2x per week and no more than one cheese serving a day. Yeah, I suck at this.
- Get in 2 non-running workouts each week. I’ve been rocking this. I love Best Body Bootcamp and I’ve been spinning at RevolveDC. I’m kind of in love with spinning. Now I just need them to hire me so I can afford to keep riding LOL.
- Figure out how to fuel myself for the major mileage I’ve been doing and have healthy food ready to go when the “mileage hungries” hit. Big old failure so far. Really packed on the weight during my build up to the five halves. Still struggling to get a few pounds off.
- Buy the stupid bike that I’ve been talking about for two years. I did it!!!! My parents gave me an older model Trek mountain bike. It needs a little work, but it’s a great bike.
- Continue working for my awesome boss at my job that I enjoy. Get better at balancing my priorities. Got it.
- Stop working late at night. Getting up in time to get Jones up for middle school has made me way better about getting to bed on time, but I’m still always tired.
- Enjoy the heck out of working the NWM half in DC. This was pretty much awesome!
- Join BURP (a local homebrew club). Really going to do this this year. Yeah, still need to work on that.
- Brew a batch of beer at home. Ok, at least finish buying the equipment I need. I think I’m going to let this go. I just don’t have the time or space.
- Go out with Beer Geek without the kids at least once every two weeks. Doing pretty good on this.
- Take a trip with Beer Geek. Already got this one booked… Done! Next trip without kids is my next 5 in 5, this time to KY, TN, LA, MS, and AR. Yeah, we know how to travel to exciting places.
- Continue to slowly clean out the clutter in our house. This year’s focus is turning the playroom into an office by the time summer arrives (the basement is not air conditioned…) Slowly making my way through the house. The fire in Jones’ room actually helped us clear a lot of clutter out of his room. Not a method I would recommend, however.
Yeah, 2013, it’s been pretty epic so far. Wonder what the next three months will bring…
Leave a Reply