My body is feeling pretty beat up. In the past five days, I ran 31.7 miles over the course of 5 runs. I’ve run more than 30 miles a week less than 20 times in my entire running career. Based on my records, I usually manage it once or twice when training for a goal half marathon race and about five times for a marathon.
And this is just the beginning. In March, I will run 65 miles over the course of five days.
What I’ve learned so far:
1. Naps are a runner’s best friend. I suck at getting enough sleep, so some days I just need to recharge. People who know me, know I never nap. Apparently running a lot is harder on me than a newborn.
2. Eating enough is essential. I admit, I have a few pounds to lose. I’m sitting above my “happy range” by 3 pounds and I really like to be more near the bottom of the range. But, finding the balance between eating enough to fuel the mileage and still lose weight has been a challenge.
3. Time on my feet is more important than speed. Running fast is awesome, but running far is where I need to be right now. My “recovery pace” is right around an 11 minute mile now. It KILLS me to have lost so much speed, but pushing a tired body to go faster while I’m piling on the miles = a huge recipe for disaster.
4. Listen to your body. So far, I’ve only had one unplanned day when my body suggested I rest instead of run. Today was planned and my body is thanking me. Five days in a row is my personal max.
5. Trust the process. Even though I’ve run plenty of half marathons and two full marathons, some days I have a hard time believing that I can get from *here* to *there*. But it’s happening. And I have to have faith that if I eat right, sleep when I can, and listen to my body, that in just over 100 days, I’ll be completing that 5th half marathon. And maybe even still be able to walk.
What has running/training taught you lately?
Total HBBC points = 135.8
HBBC Week 3 – 35.6
Thursday =6.3 (4.3 miles + veggies + FB)
Wednesday = 12 (10 mile run+veggies+FB)
Tuesday = 10 (7 mile run+ veggies + FB + raking leaves)
Monday = 7.3 (5.3 mile run + veggies + FB)
HBBC Week 2 – 46.8
HBBC Week 1 – 50.4
HBBC pre-bonus points – 3