Here we are again at the beginning of a new year. I’ve been mulling over my goals for 2016 for a while. Last year, Shoo threw a wild card into my life by making a travel soccer team. This has made racing a lot more difficult and travel out of the area complicated. I’d like to say I’ve figured out how to balance it with my running, but I’ve already booked a race on a tournament weekend for 2016. Ugh.
So, without further whining, I’m joining Marcia and Patty and sharing my goals.
- Finish 7 half marathons in 7 days. I have now run three Mainly Marathons series: Center of the Nation Series in 2015, Riverboat Series in 2014 and the Dust Bowl Series in 2013. CON was 6 states in 6 days. Why not up the ante one more time? This year Beer Geek and I will be heading to the New England Series. (Actually, I’m only doing the 7th state because they give you a special medal for finishing an entire series. Priorities.)
- Run my first ultra. Yep, I’m going over to the dark side. My plan at this point is Across the Years in December where I’ll see how many miles I can run in 24 hours. I make no promises that I won’t find one to do before then…
- Pick up the pace. I have really slowed down in the last few years. I don’t know if I can get back down to a sub-2 half, but I’ll be spending the first few months of the year trying to push the pace again.
- Moon up in Half Fanatics. This is really iffy. To get to Mercury, I need 23 half marathons in 23 states in 365 days. I’ve got 7 already (CON + RW) and I’ll get 7 more at NE. That leaves me with 10 states. 3 are easy (MD, DC, VA), 3 are relatively easy (WI, WV, MI) and that leaves me with 3 more to figure out. I’m torn on whether it is really worth the time and money investment for basically nothing but bragging rights (and only a small number of people actually care.) And I’d kind of like to do another Ragnar or other relay race and I can’t really justify both.
- Continue to try new things in the kitchen. My “Cooking with Beer” series will help me with this, but I also want to get less meat centric. We’ll see how that goes.
- Figure out how to use the weight machines in the gym. I’ve joined (and am good at using the cardio machines), but I need to actually figure out the weight machines as I used to enjoy those more than free weights. Oh, and then use them at least once a week.
- Drink more water. ‘Nuff said.
- Follow through on my new work schedule. I’ve set it up to have one full day off to run errands and such. Now I need to actually get my work done on my work days.
- Blog/use social media more efficiently. I often get sidetracked. I’ll go to find one link and end up wasting 20 minutes on one of the platforms. While I realize that social media is important, as is being engaged with my readers and other bloggers, I need to figure out how to set parameters and find some balance.
- Do something social at least twice a month on my free days. It can be a run, coffee, lunch, whatever – I just need to get out of my house and out of my head on occasion.
- Take a trip with Beer Geek. New England Series here we come!
- Read more but not binge read. I love books and I tend to not put down a good book once I start. I need to get better about putting down a book and going to bed. I also need to occasionally read books that do more than entertain.
- Make a master To Do list. I’m carrying a lot in my head. I need to just get it down on paper and start knocking off things bit by bit. I use a daily to do list and generally get 80-90% done each day, so I think have a master to work off of would be useful.
- Get more sleep. Said every mom everywhere.
So, May will be Epic and December will be Epic. Now I just need to figure out what else I’ll be doing with myself… How about you? What are your goals for the year?