You all know I love craft beer about as much as I love running. OK, maybe even more than I love running. When I get the chance to combine the two, I’m a happy camper. And lately the opportunities to run and drink beer in t he DC area are growing and growing. The number of breweries and brewpubs has exploded in recent years. Conveniently, many of them are near local running trails and many of them are hosting run clubs, which is basically code for run and drink beer. Since today’s Friday Five 2.0 topic with Running on Happy and Fairytales and Fitness is beverages, I’m going to give you five reasons to run for beer (aka run with a beer related run club).
- Running with friends is always better. OK, maybe a beer run won’t be your best training run all week, but I bet it will be the most fun. I purposely make our run club run my second run of the day so I can go as far (or not far) as I want.
- Beer runners are fun people. Runners are cool people. Craft beer lovers are cool people. The intersection of the two groups is where most of my BFFs reside.
- Discounts on food, beer, and sometimes merchandise. What is discounted and by how much depends on the brewery, but most offer special deals for their run clubs.
- You’ll find some awesome partners in crime. Many brewery run clubs create teams for such fun events as beer miles, donut runs, and Ragnar Relays. Rumor has it that Ragnar may even add a category for brewery teams in the future.
- Beer. Duh. The whole point of running with a brewery run club is the beer afterwards (and sometimes beforehand.)
Have you ever run with a run club associated with a brewery or a brewpub? If not, you should try it!
Leave a Reply