In just over two weeks, I’ll be running my “A” race for the fall. I’ve been training all summer (I know, I’m surprised too) and I’m currently loving my taper. OK, I’ll be honest, I may be too good at tapering. I should run at least one more double digit run in the next few days, but I’m feeling decidedly “meh” about it. But whether I run more or not, the race will be over and done with in 17 days.
So, what then? I have some ideas swirling around…
- Finally run that ultra marathon I’ve been talking about. There are several not too technical trail 50ks coming up, but I’ll be honest, I’d love a timed loop race. I know they exist, I’m just not sure if there are any close enough (both distance and date wise) to take advantage of my current training. If I had all the time and funds in the world, I’d be heading out to Arizona for Across the Years.
- Turn my training into speed training and really RACE a half marathon. I haven’t really pushed the speed on a half marathon in quite a while. I’ve got the distance base, so I could really focus on pushing my pace.
- Run a bunch of local races – there are a ton of turkey trots, jingle bell races, and other shorter than half marathon opportunities leading well into December. I could have a lot of fun with my local MRTT ladies at these races. I am already registered for a Jingle Bell race.
- Run another marathon. Yes, I keep looking at both Richmond and Rehoboth. I mean, if I keep running regular marathons, then I don’t have to do the really long training runs, right?
- Take a break from racing, cut back on running, and get some cross training into my life. My body has been amazingly resilient. I’ve done nothing but run and plank this training session and I managed to survive a really high mileage plan with little in the way of injury. But I know that’s going to catch up to me soon. I can already tell my body is recovering slower than it used to. It may be time to add in more variety.
I’m sure that what I end up doing will be some hybrid of the five options above, but I have to admit that my current mental state is that I’m done running as soon as the Marine Corps Marathon is over. I’m sure that will last all of two days…
And at least, unlike last year, I’m not declaring this MCM my last marathon ever. I’ll call that a win any day.
I’m joining Running on Happy and Fairytales and Fitness for the Friday Five 2.0 linkup!
9 thoughts on “Figuring out my post-MCM race schedule”
So many options! I can’t see you doing #2, but that’s probably just because I haven’t seen you do that. 😉 So far I’m done after October but I’m open to a good deal on the WWBrdige Half.
I raced GW parkway, so I know I can race 10 miles. I need to stop being so tired all the time first… I’d run WWBridge, but I’m hoping to be on staff again for it.
Did not know you were thinking about an Ultra! There are a lot of fun local races in the fall that I always look forward to . Hope to see you at a few of them!
#3. That’s where I’m at. That’s where I’m usually at this time of year. The crazy thought of Rehoboth did pop into my mind, but I squashed it quickly.
I have such envy for runners that can just run. I truly need that cross training & strength training. OTOH, I also think it will help me immensely as I age!
All of these sound enticing! After my last marathon I chose to just have fun with some local races. I was exhausted from traveling and all the high mileage training!
You had a great training cycle, I know your going to rock MCM!
All sound like good options. I’m going to take a break after Vegas, but want to keep some low mileage since it’ll be the holidays. I could look into a local December race, maybe mid month to give me a little bit of a break, but still have a fun goal.
YOU have had some serious mileage in your running shoes this year! I’m excited MCM is almost here (even though I won’t be there)…hopefully someday, though. I wish we had a as many options as you for late fall/winter racing…there are a tiny handful of holiday races to choose from (and most are all on the SAME day).
Sounds like you’ll have a great schedule after MCM!
I have a similar #2/3. I miss speed training now that I am an endurance monster. I want to find a way to better integrate the two.