It’s Friday and the topic of today’s Friday Five link up with Cynthia, Courtney, and Mar is “Running Tips”. Since I’ve been struggling with not wanting to run lately, I decided to share a few things that help get me out the door when I’d rather be parked on the couch with a trash novel and a beer.
1. Dress in running clothes as soon as you get up (or as soon as you get home from work). I swear, getting dressed is half the battle. I’ve mentioned before that if I put on a running bra, I’ve just increased my chance of running by a huge percentage.
2. Make yourself run a mile. It doesn’t have to be fast and only has to be a mile, but 90% of the time, if I run that mile, I’m going to keep running.
3. Meet up with a running group or running friend. A few years ago, I had a neighbor who liked to run with me right after kid drop off. I missed fewer runs in that training cycle than I ever did before or since. Letting someone else’s motivation make you run is a great way to train.
4. Leave your watch at home. Sometimes I hate running because I know I need to hit a certain pace or distance. If the choice comes down to not running or not knowing my pace, I choose a “by feel” run every.single.time.
5. Promise yourself a reward. When all else fails, I tell myself I can have a special treat after the run. I might then spend the entire run thinking about what that treat might be: Starbucks coffee, a milk shake, nachos, whatever. Funny thing is, when I finish running, I don’t usually eat that treat. Apparently just thinking about the yummy choices is enough to get me to run.
I seem to be fine once I get out there, but lately *getting* out there has been quite a challenge. How do you convince yourself to run when you just don’t feel the run love?