I love veggies. LOVE.THEM. I have never been one to not eat my veggies. (All of my healthy eating issues stem from the snacks I eat after my veggies LOL.) My parents tell me that when I was little, they’d serve themselves the vegetable at dinner and not give me any. Then when I’d ask, they’d tell me that those were only for adults, but that I could have some if I’d promise to eat them.
Obviously, I was a gullible child. But it worked. I like almost every vegetable now. Except beets. I’ve never met a beet I like. (And believe me, I’ve tried every way imaginable to eat them. Apparently if you say that you don’t like them, everyone will insist that their recipe makes beets awesome. No. No it does not.)
So, here are my favorite summer vegetables, most of which I can get out of my parents’ garden (even though Jones would insist that technically, some are fruits.)
1. Kohlrabi – I love this crazy vegetable. It’s a member of the same family as broccoli, cauliflower, kale and Brussels sprouts, all of which I love. It’s good raw with a dip, but my favorite way to eat it is to slice it very thinly and then cook it in coconut oil until it is soft. I usually eat an entire one at a time, so I love it when my mom grows it as they are pricy in the store.
2. Arugula – I admit I have a problem. I often eat arugula by the handful from the fridge. It’s a leafy green with a spicy flavor. It’s best used mixed with other greens in a salad, but I’ve been know to put it in sandwiches or omelets. Mad Fox Brewery had a salad on the menu for a while with it and I ate it every time we went.
3. Tomatoes – (Yeah, Jones would argue this is a fruit.) I LOVE tomatoes, but only if they are fresh from the vine. When we go home to my parents’ house every August, I literally eat them until I’m sick to my stomach. I’m also convinced that there is something about the soil in Wisconsin because Wisconsin tomatoes taste better than any other tomatoes out there.
4. Zucchini and summer squash – Yeah, I’m that girl. Whenever neighbors are trying to get rid of their plethora of squash, I’m over here waving my hand in the air. I love this in everything from quiche to stir fries to casseroles. I’ll even eat it raw with dip, but I do prefer it cooked. I was thrilled when my Hello Fresh box came with a summer squash pizza recipe!
5. Cucumber – Admittedly, my favorite way to eat these is as pickles, but we go through a lot of cucumbers in this house. Sliced with a drizzle of balsamic or in a dill salad or simply slice and eat. Mmm…
Yeah, I can’t wait to go “home” this summer. I can’t grow veggies here (too much shade), so I look forward to my annual trip to Wisconsin for my veggie fix. Somehow, buying them at the Farmer’s Market is just not the same.
[Tweet “Kohlrabi, tomatoes, and cucumbers! It’s almost time for some awesome summer produce!”]
What are your favorite veggies? Got a unique recipe for an old standby? I’m always looking for new ideas.
And apropos of nothing, I became a Marathon Maniac last night. As you know, I qualified with my NJ and NY races through Mainly Marathons. I’m #11339, level Iridium, which is a far cry from Half Fanatic #182 LOL. Race report from New York coming soon!