Riverboat Series Half Marathon – Kentucy
April 12, 2014
Temp: 50+ at the start, high 60s by the end, super humid
What I wore: hat, Swirlgear short sleeve shirt, Athleta Relay skirt (this is an affiliate link),
PROCompression socks, and (of course) my trusty AltraRunning Intuitions
This race can be described with 3 words: hilly, hot, humid. I was absolutely not ready for this kind of weather and my legs quickly informed me that they were not quite recovered from Charlottesville’s hills. At mile 2, my legs told me that they were done and I was on my own for the rest of the race. Hence, this is my personal underachievement race (to quote Kim) and I honestly thought I was going to be slower but did manage to run the last loop instead of walk it.
- The course was lovely with amazing views of the Mississippi River.
- As expected, the race was incredibly well organized and the food options were awesome.
- Everyone was excited to be there and in a great mood.
- Real bathrooms. Always a favorite.
- The nearby campground had showers. If not for that, I would have had to do a “Walmart shower” with baby wipes. I’ve never been so happy about a concrete shower with cold water.
- Seeing Kim and her friends frequently on the loop course.
- The course was challenging to put it mildly. There were a couple of significant hills and a lot of smaller ones.
- Part of the course was pavement, part was trail. I’m not good on trails and it was muddy. Amazingly I never fell.
- My legs. They hurt pretty much from the beginning.
- The mud in the trail part was pretty awful. There was one spot where I was pretty well convinced I would wipe out at some point (we ran the loop 6 times). Amazingly, I stayed on my feet the whole race.
- The humidity and heat. I drank one bottle of water in the first four laps and 3 bottles of gatorade in the last two. I was completely covered in salt at the end.
- My mental state. As soon as it started warming up, I went to a negative place mentally. My mind convinced me that I was incapable of running a half marathon. It was not pretty.
But I finished it! Kentucky = done!
Make sure to enter my 5 things giveaway for the five half marathons in five days!!! And the winner of the Road ID is Laurel C. Please contact me at mcmmamaruns at gmail.com!
1 down, 4 to go!