The big things in life can be amazing (a wedding, the birth of a child, hitting a goal you’ve been working hard for) and devastating (death, job loss, etc.)
But it’s the little things, both good and bad, that seem to affect me the most and I doubt I’m alone. In general, my life is pretty mundane. But I’ve been having a hard week or so. Nothing major, but in some ways it feels like being stoned to death by pebbles or bleeding to death from a paper cut.
- I’m in the process of selling our 1995 Jeep Cherokee. As much as I hate the car buying process, I hate the car selling process more.
- I took my Civic in for an oil change and some recall work. Not only did they find a ton of things “wrong” with the car, they broke a piece on my steering wheel and are trying to charge me to fix it. Guess who won’t be getting the opportunity to do any more work on my pilot or my civic.
- I’m going camping tomorrow night with Jones’ class. I’m not a fan of camping. I’m even less a fan of camping in the rain.
- We are having our own version of “Parking Wars”. I realize we live in an urban area, but I’m tired of having a hard time parking in front of my own house. Of course, selling the Jeep will go a long ways towards alleviating my stress over this.
- I have my mammogram next week. Last time it turned into a month of worry while I had a second mammogram and then a biopsy. I’m worried about having to go there again.
- Most of my shorts are too tight and I’m not doing well with getting the weight off. I’m not even 5 pounds up from last summer, but I carry all my extra in my butt and thighs. Ugh.
See, nothing earth shatteringly major, just nagging things.
So, today, I’m focusing on some happy things in my life.
- My new to me dining room set that I scored while out on a run on Saturday. And our old one was picked up from our corner within 25 minutes of putting it out.
- My butt. It’s still bigger than I’d like, but Tina Reale’s Best Body Boot Camp is working some magic. It’s got a nice high rounded shape that I’m not sure I’ve ever had before. I have to say I love how short and intense the workouts are and I absolutely plan to sign up for the next one!
- I channeled my stress yesterday in a good way: Instead of eating junk or shopping (my two most frequent coping mechanisms), I went on a major declutter binge. Shoo’s closet is now organized and I have 6 boxes/bags and counting to get picked up next week by a charity.
- Today I have nothing planned except a nice long run and a couple hours of work. I like an unstructured day.
- We are having our usual spring cricket issue in the basement. So far, I’ve scored 3 crickets for Epic the gecko. That’s 45 cents right there. (Who knew I’d become the girl who just reaches down and picks up a cricket with her bare hand…)
- And finally, I’m *thisclose* to registering for the trail half marathon. As Stimey said “I think YOU should do the trail race. Because you know you can do road halfs, so you should challenge yourself with a trail half.” Exactly.
What do you do when day to day stress makes you crazy? Do you turn to chocolate and junk food like I want to? And what little things are awesome in your life right now?