Confession: I hate summer. OK, let me be more specific – I hate Virginia summers. They are hot and they are humid. I swear I get reverse SAD and get depressed and never want to leave my house. Seriously, I’ve had a few summer months when I’ve barely run at all. With Ragnar and Marine Corps Marathon coming up in early fall, I need to get my act together this summer.
- I’m going to “Run This Town”. One of my fellow Skirt Sports ambassadors decided she wanted to run all of the streets in her town and a few others of us have jumped on the bandwagon. Beer Geek has biked many of the streets in our “town” and thinks I’m crazy, but I’m going to do it anyways. I doubt I’ll ever finish (and there are roads that can’t be run on), but I’m going to do my best. Bonus: there are some seriously hilly parts of this area.
- I’m going to actually train for Marine Corps Marathon this year. I’ve been relying heavily on my base and my body’s ability to somehow run farther than I’m really trained for. It’s time to actually get serious about distances again. This does not mean I have 20 milers in my future – I’m still planning to stick with my Hansons style training. Thankfully, I have an awesome friend who wants to train with me, so she’ll be motivating me to get out there and run.
- I’m going to catch up on some of this past year’s good movies. What??? Yes, I will run some of my runs on my treadmill with the AC unit going full blast right next to it. Sorry, but when it’s triple digits with matching humidity, I don’t run outside.
- I’m going to cross train. Remember all of the cool equipment I got from Kohl’s? I’ve used it sporadically, but with a basically snow free winter and a lovely spring so far, I’ve been out running a lot. But when the temps are high and I’m not in a treadmill mood, I’ll be hitting up my other options.
- I’m sure I’ll sneak in a race (or 5). I have no races on the calendar until September. There is something very wrong with that picture. While I doubt I’ll run many half marathons, I do think I might jump in on some of the local low key 5Ks this summer.
What are your summer fitness plans? Are you a summer runner or a cold weather fan? I’d love some ideas for how to stay motivated this summer and not be the slug I was last summer.
I’m linking up with Running on Happy and Fairytales and Fitness for Friday 2.0. The topic this week is “getting in your workout on vacation“, so stop by the link up and get some ideas!
Leave a Reply