Last weekend I ran Ragnar Trail Richmond.
It was a super fun event, but the temperatures were unusually warm for the end of April. The heat combined with running four legs (recap coming soon) meant I was completely wiped out come Sunday. I was the captain, so I also expended a lot of mental energy in the days leading up to and during the race. Needless to say, I started this week exhausted. I knew I had to be gentle with myself as I recovered, so here are five things I did to help myself recover faster. (Yes, I realize I’m a couple of weeks behind on topics for Friday Five 2.0 with with Running on Happy and Fairytales and Fitness. )
- I stepped away from the blog and social media. I’ve been blogging for 9 years. In fact, my first blog post went live some time in May of 2008. It’s been lost to the depths of the Internet, so I don’t have the exact date, but 9 years is a long time to be throwing thoughts out. (Interestingly, the first post that shows up is my June 2008 Zooma Half Marathon recap. The others were lost when I migrated platforms.) Anyways, a short breather made all the difference.
- I slept more. I’m a night owl, but I have to get up early to get the kids off to school. I managed to hit the bed by 11 or 11:30 every night this past week (and slept 11 hours the night after Ragnar!)
- I got a massage. No explanation necessary LOL.
- I didn’t sign up for the Frederick half marathon. This means I probably won’t hit 70 half marathons at ZOOMA Annapolis. I’m disappointed, but my body just needs a break. Trail running is hard, y’all! (And I really wanted a weekend where I slept in my own bed both nights.)
- I made the mother of all to do lists. I know that doesn’t seem like a pampering thing, but I had SO much stuff in my head. Now it’s all organized by month (with deadlines noted!) in my Bullet Journal, so I can check it at the beginning of each week to add things to my daily to do lists. Hopefully this means I’ll drop fewer balls.
Next week is my prime training week for my next race series that starts at Heartland and ends at ZOOMA. Come join me! Use code Erika2017 to get 10% off when you register.
Have a nice weekend! I’m going to enjoy my first mellow, stay at home weekend since the end of March.