The boys and I are in Wisconsin visiting my parents for spring break. I took advantage of having extra hands to go for a 12 mile run today. I was pretty happy with the run overall as I finished it with a 10:38 average pace (my last mile was even under a 10 minute pace).
- Cold (43 degrees) + Vibrams + 12 miles = really tired feet.
- From where the sidewalk starts at one end of Main Street all the way to where the sidewalk ends at the other end of town is only 3 miles. This makes for a LOT of wandering through neighborhoods.
- I always forget how hilly this little midwestern town is.
- I’m sure Hospital Hill is named because of the old hospital, but given how my heart was pounding at the top, I can see where it could send you to the hospital. Oy.
- Tripping and doing an all out belly flop at mile 2 is not the best way to start a run. No blood, but I bet I have some interesting bruises tomorrow.
- Most people in small towns will back out of the intersection and let you cross and even smile and wave.
- Running across railroad tracks in Vibrams sucks big time.
- The way my feet feel after 12 miles tells me I’m a long ways from another marathon.
- Gummy worms make an acceptable substitute when you forget the GU back in Virginia.
- Bruised fingertips (from the door shutting incident last weekend) THROB when it’s cold outside.
- Five mile progressive run yesterday with my dad + long slow 12 miler today = awesome way to start spring break. Much better than the puking kid who then ended up at the Urgent Care center when we got here thanks to impetigo.
How was your long run this weekend? Hope the running gods sent a beautiful run your way.