The weather in Virginia is about perfect these days with high 50s/low 60s most days. I’m able to run comfortably in skirts and short sleeves, but not yet having to deal with the heat and humidity that will be here soon. (This is Virginia – who knows when exactly that humidity will arrive. We just know that it will. Soon.) Since today’s Tuesdays on the Run topic is “hydration”, I’m going to share my favorites for staying hydrated.
- My Sodastream – OK, I’m not out there running with what my kids refer to as fizzy water. Instead, I’m drinking this in the evenings the day before I have a hot run planned. I’m not good at drinking just plain water unless I’m really hot and it’s really cold, so the fizzy water really helps me stay hydrated.
- My Amphipod Handheld – I actually own two different sizes of this. Most of the time the small one is enough (or I add water at some point), but I like the big one if I don’t know where there might be a water fountain or if the weather is super hot. Once summer hits, I carry hydration on pretty much EVERY run.
- Gatorade – I confess that I love this stuff when I’m on a long hot run. In fact, I ran the Marine Corps Marathon on a half of a rice krispy treat, a couple of swallows of coke, and a ridiculous amount of Gatorade. I don’t really train with it, but it has saved me more than once during a race when my body decides that eating is not an option.
- Chocolate Milk – This is my post race drink of choice. I love ice cold chocolate milk to get both liquid and calories in me immediately after a run. (I also like Muscle Milk when chocolate milk isn’t an option.) I have to be careful how much dairy I ingest, so I save this for long hot runs and races.
- The old version of nuun – I may have bought out the website when nuun put the old version of their electrolyte tabs on clearance. I can drink the new stuff, but I find the stevia flavor to be overwhelming. Guess my spring will involve trial and error with some new brands. Stay tuned for those adventures. (I have a super picky stomach, so it WILL be an adventure…)
Tell me: what’s your favorite way to stay hydrated? Got a favorite addition for your water or a handheld you love?
[inlinkz_linkup id=707672 mode=1]