I’m not a fan of August, which is kind of amusing since my birthday AND my favorite beer festival both happen in August. But that’s 2 days of awesome surrounded by many days of struggling with summer. I’ve often commented that I get reverse “SAD”. I just don’t like being hot, I’m not a fan of swimming, and I fry (or freckle) in the sun. I’m like the antithesis of the golden brown Sun Goddess.
Add in summer marathon training and I’m admittedly more than a little bit cranky these days. But, I know I just need to stick it out a few more weeks and then the mornings will be cooler and then the kids will go back to school and we will all get back into a routine. (What? Sleeping from 1am-10am is a routine. Maybe not a good one, but it’s a routine…)
- Cut yourself some slack – It’s great to have training goals, but sometimes the heat gets in the way and you need to run a shorter or slower run. Accept it. Move on.
- Shake things up – I try to vary both my speed and where I run and throw in a treadmill run on occasion. (With last week’s heat wave, I may have thrown a treadmill run every other day. Whatever it takes.)
- Phone a friend – When you really just can’t find the motivation, borrow someone else’s. Everyone’s got that one friend who is always up for a run. Find them. Use them.
- Reward yourself – I’m not even going to pretend I’m going to do every run on the training plan. Life happens. Heat waves happen. Oversleeping happens. But when I have a hard run on the schedule, I set mini goals within a run and a big reward at the end. The rewards vary (could be a treat, could be a movie, could be skipping housework for the day), but whatever it is it motivates me to just keep on going. And if you survive that long run, you TOTALLY deserve a massage. Just sayin.
- Just do it – You may not want to and you may not be happy even when you are done, but come marathon day, you’ll be thankful you sucked it up and got out there.
I’ll confess that I’ve been struggling with blogging as much as running this summer. I just needed a bit of a break. We’ve had a lot going on and I’ve been pushing hard in so many areas of life lately that I’ve allowed myself a bit of a breather from writing for the last month. I’ve also been focusing on spending some quality time with my teen while he still likes me. I figure that could end any day now LOL.