This has been a challenging week. Jones has been in the middle of quarter finals. Shoo has had a rough week with his soccer team and then one of his past teachers passed away suddenly. And, well, I can’t even talk about the other things ’cause you’d find me hiding a corner somewhere…
But it’s Friday and we have some nice plans this weekend and I did a lot of “self care” this week. Yep, I did everything I could to keep myself in a happy place. It even sort of worked.
- Get active. Run. Then run some more. Ok, maybe do some yoga and a little meditation too. All of these will calm your mind and help you cope.
- Give back. Volunteer. Donate. Do random acts of kindness. Combine a couple and donate to a friend’s favorite cause. Then write them a note telling them how much they mean to you and why you donated on their behalf. It’s a double win because you not only show a friend you care, but you also help a worthy organization.
- Get involved. There are so many different ways: march, write letters, make phone calls… Heck, run for office. Do your part to make the world the place you want it to be.
- Do fun things. Or comforting things. Or find the humor in the world around you. Surround yourself with people who care about you.
- Cut yourself some slack. While I can’t advocate curling up in a corner and sucking your thumb, I do believe it’s ok to have sad moments. And to let yourself be in those moments instead of feeling guilty for having them. It’s ok to be a bit self indulgent for a time, but set yourself a time limit to get back up and going. (And if you can’t seem to get back up, please get help to do so.)
And just because we all need a little humor in our lives, here are a couple of runfessions for January.
- On Wednesday, I ran twice. In the same outfit.
- Once this month, I had to take advantage of my almost expired gym membership. Not to work out (ahem). I’ve never been so grateful for that little card attached to my keys.
- I created a lovely training plan on Monday of this week. I’ve already gone rogue.
- I’m already eyeing the new patterns from Skirt Sports and counting down the days until I can buy them. No, I don’t know an actual release date. I just have an obsession.
I’m linking up with Running on Happy and Fairytales and Fitness for Friday 2.0 and Marcia’s Healthy Slice for Runfessions.
Leave a Reply