Know what’s more exhausting than running multiple long runs in a week? Walking around the Chicago Museum of Science and Industry for an entire day. Don’t get me wrong – it was absolutely amazing. But we got back to the hotel and I really wanted to go to bed at 7pm. Today we will hit the Shedd Aquarium and maybe some part of Field Museum, so I need to be ready to do it all again. I think I’m going to spend all day Wednesday sleeping.
Given that I’m exhausted, I’d say racing is the farthest thing from my mind, but today’s topic for Tuesdays on the Run is “dream race”. Join Patty, April, and me and tell us what makes a race “dreamy” for you. (Bonus points if it’s a real race and I can go run it. )
Here are the top 5 things I’d include in a dream race:
1. Easy access and well-run packet pickup – Nothing drives me crazier than difficult to get to expo location or lines that last for hours. In my dream race, there’d be parking right by the venue and I’d walk in and have my bib and shirt within 5 minutes.
2. Easy parking right by the start/finish line or plenty of reasonably priced hotels nearby. Having a hotel room where I can walk out of the lobby 10 minutes before the start would be about perfect.
3. An awesome location. I don’t care much about the course – I tend to get inside my head and miss all of the cool sites anyways. I just want a neat place to visit before and after I run.
4. Perfect weather. Hey, it’s my race, I get to decide. I’m so tired of really cold or rainy races. I want cool and sunny. Somewhere between 45 and 60 sounds good to me.
5. Good beer. You totally knew that was coming. I want a craft beer at the end and I want options. I’m not a lager girl and I don’t drink Budmilloor beers (seriously, I’d rather have water than a beer I don’t like.)
Notice that I made no mention of the bling or the t-shirts. I like medals and appreciate an attractive one, but really, it’s just going up on my wall, so it’s not a huge selling point for me. As for the t-shirt, I don’t really care. I don’t generally wear cotton race t-shirts and I have more tech tees than I know what to do with.
What would you look for in a dream race? Don’t forget to check back tomorrow for the full details on our Rock Your Core challenge!!!
[inlinkz_linkup id=510302 mode=1]