We’ve all seen them. We’ve all snickered a few times during a race. Sometimes they are just what we need to get us through the hardest portion of a race. What’s that?
I’ll be the first to admit, I never pull out my camera during a race and I have the memory of a gnat while running, so I can very seldom remember the signs I see. But I LOVE signs! I don’t run with music, so anything that pulls me out of my own deep thoughts during a race (particularly one where I’m struggling), is good in my book. I know some people don’t find certain signs amusing, but if you are willing to get out there and stand with a sign, just to cheer on a runner (or runners), I appreciate your sign. Even if sometimes it takes me the next half mile to figure out what your sign meant. (Those are actually the best ones ’cause they keep my brain busy.)
Since I had no pictures, I asked my friends on Facebook to share some of their favorites:
(Source: Kim, who is crazy enough to be waiting
for me at the finish of my back to back marathons.
Maybe she could have a sign for me…)
(Source: Erin at See Mom Run Far)
(Source: My GBA girlfriend…)
(Source: Carla Birnberg, who we all know I adore)
My personal favorites include:
- (at the midway point of a pouring down rain half marathon) – You did a great job! Now do it again!
- You run better than metro!
- If a marathon were easy, it’d be your mom! (HT to Jamoosh for reminding me of this one.)
- Smile if you just peed a little.
And a few from friends:
- From the Boston Marathon: Top 10 Reasons We’re Not Running The Marathon – Number 1 was: you’ll know why in 3 hours
- Suck it up, Buttercup
- The guy at mile 10 at RNR DC waving a crumpled mass of green poster board shouting “Who knew I needed a laminated sign today! “
- You’ve got great stamina! CALL ME! (also from GBA girlfriend)
- Poster at mile 21 (or thereabouts) of last year’s MCM that read “Accio Finish Line!” complete with drawing of the Tri-Wizard Cup
So, tell me…
Is there one sign you’ve seen that has stuck in your mind long after the race is over?