Disclaimer: I received a free entry to the Gone for a Run virtual race, but was not compensated in any other way. All opinions are my own. There are also affiliate links below, which means I might make a commission if you buy something.
I love a good virtual race. In fact, for my 40th birthday, I organized my own Mama Goes Masters virtual. So, I was totally into running the All 4 Run.
One problem: my shortest run these days is 6 miles and most of my miles are far from race pace.
That’s ok. The beauty of a virtual race is you can run it when and how you want. Since I wanted to be at least a bit on the speedy side, I ran it as part of my speed work last week.
All 4 Run Virtual Race
July 4, 2015
Temp: 75* with 82% humidity
What I wore: hat, tank top, Skirt Sports Happy Hour skirt,
PROCompression socks, and my Altra One^2
To get my four miles, I decided to run as many of my 8 x 600s with recovery as I could. That worked out to be 6 of the 8 intervals.
- The organization was great: on time start, plenty of water/Gatorade stops, plenty of food at the end.
- I hit my splits for every single 600.
- The course was only a half mile from my house.
- It was the perfect number of people – not too crowded, but I saw plenty of dog walkers and neighbors while I ran.
- That I got a good workout in before the pouring rain and lightning.
- The magnet that came as part of the race swag.
- The course had some crazy rolling hills. I was pretty much never running on the flat.
- It was so humid I could barely breathe.
- I was absolutely drenched when I got done – and the rain didn’t start until later.
Would I do it again?
Sure! I like the tank top and am kind of psyched to actually have a shirt in patriotic colors for future races. The medal is super nice and the magnet is awesome! The race director needs to work on the course as it was boring and hilly, but since I was the race director, I have no one to blame but myself.
[Tweet “Have you done a virtual race? Check out this fun one from @GoneforaRUNcom! #ad #runchat”]
Have you run a virtual race? Do you enjoy them or think that there is no real point to them?
Leave a Reply