In a very few months, I’ll be celebrating my 9th year of writing this blog. NINE YEARS! What?? Also in 2017, I will run my 10,000th *recorded* mile. (Yeah, I know I took some months off here and there where I didn’t record my runs.) It’s hard to believe that when I started, I’d never run a race longer than a 10 miler. Wrap your heads around that. Another big milestone in 2017? ZOOMA Annapolis (where I ran my very first half) will be celebrating 10 years. As a 2017 ambassador, I will be there, probably running my 70th half marathon. But enough about upcoming things, today’s Tuesdays on the Run topic is “Wrapping up your year”, so I’m going to look back at my goals from 2016 and see how I fared.
- Finish 7 half marathons in 7 days. Boom. Done.
- Run my first ultra. Nope. I didn’t even try. Probably not next year either.
- Pick up the pace. Nope. I love a long slow run and running races as training runs. I barely pushed the pace all year round.
- Moon up in Half Fanatics. Boom. I hit Mercury with 23 half marathons in 23 states in fewer than 365 days.
- Continue to try new things in the kitchen. Cooking with DuClaw really upped my game on this. I need to take it up a notch again in the new year.
- Figure out how to use the weight machines in the gym. I sort of succeeded. But now I’m dumping my gym membership, so I need to figure out workouts at home.
- Drink more water. I had my good and bad days.
- Follow through on my new work schedule. I’d say I earned a B+ on this one. I had weeks where it worked great and others where I found myself all over the place with my work schedule.
- Blog/use social media more efficiently. I admit, I lost some motivation on this. I still struggle with wasting time on Facebook and not actually posting on any social media. I’ll be taking a hard look at this next year.
- Do something social at least twice a month on my free days. I was doing pretty good on this, but lately I’ve been working at least one shift a week at the library. This is a different type of being social than I planned, but I’m really enjoying dipping my toe back into that water. I’ve also regularly run with some social running groups and followed that up with beer. Win!
- Take a trip with Beer Geek. We had a great time at the New England Series in the spring. We also got away for a weekend in August. I’m really feeling the need for a trip away again soon, but that may not happen again until late spring.
- Read more but not binge read. Still going in fits and starts. I have a hard time putting a good book down.
- Make a master To Do list. I started a Bullet Journal in the fall. I love love love this thing. I’ve been a bit of a slacker this month, but plan to get back to using it better again in the new year. I like it so much, I might even buy a pretty journal for 2017. (That does not, however, mean my actual journal is super creative and pretty.
- Get more sleep. I’ve had this goal since Jones was born LOL. Sometimes I actually do well with it. Most of the time I don’t…
All in all, I’d say that 2016 was a B+ year. I wish I’d done a better job of cross training as I’m feeling a bit “mid-40s” lately. I need to build more muscles plus my body is a bit cranky from all the mileage. I’ve started mulling over what I want to try to achieve and what my long term goals are, but I’m not ready to commit to anything yet.
How was your 2016? Did you hit your goals? If not, did you re-evaluate and find new goals? What was the highlight of your year?