Miss Zippy asked recently “How was your year in running?” I can never resist a chance to look back at my running, so I took her up on it.
- Best race experience? Honestly, every race this year was the best.race.ever. I only ran half marathons – not intentionally, but somehow I didn’t run my standard shorter races this year. But, if I had to pick one race, I’d say the Frederick Half Marathon. I felt awesome, the course was great, the weather was perfect, and I saw a couple of my favorite people on the course.
- Best run? I’d say every run I got to do with friends. Even the ones that hurt were more fun with people to chat with.
- Best new piece of gear? My Brooks Essential Nightlife jacket. I borrowed my mom’s for the 5 in 5 races and wore it every.single.mile. I loved it so much I bought my own. Mine made its debut this past weekend at Rehoboth.
- Best piece of running advice you received? “Run slow and walk fast.” I met a lot of Maniacs and Fanatics when I was doing the Dust Bowl Series, including Larry Macon who holds the record for most marathons in a calendar year (and has run more than 1000 in his life.) When asked the best way to survive back to back races, one of them imparted the wisdom above. Great advice for avoiding injury while running five half marathons in five days.
- Most inspirational runner? All the moms I know who find a way to run while juggling young children, jobs, and other commitments.
- If you could sum up your year in a couple of words, what would they be? Set your goals high. You never know what you are capable of until you step outside your comfort zone.
And because I know you care, WIAW AKA What I ate on race day…
Pre-race breakfast: peanut butter toast. Always. Never anything else. (OK, sometimes I add jelly)
During the race: one Vanilla Gu (not pictured), gatorade, nuun
Post-Race breakfast: pancakes (eaten too fast for the picture), macaroni and cheese, pulled pork BBQ, prosecco, and beer (What?)
Lunch: eggs, bacon, and hashbrowns with a full sugar cola (post half marathon is pretty much the only time I drink a soda)
Snack: Beer tasting at 16 Mile Brewery
Snack (food): Simply Snackin beef snack
Dinner: turkey soup and grilled cheese sandwich
Dessert: chocolate chip cookies (I may have eaten more than four)
Guess it’s a good thing I only eat like this on race days LOL!